Full professor of Moral philosophy and Bioethics at the University of Bari (Italy)
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Neuroscience, and Sense Organs
He was a visiting professor at the Faculty of Education of the University Complutense, Madrid (Spain), and at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (Poland).
In 1987 he founded the Department of Bioethics at the University of Bari and promoted the first university course in Bioethics in Italy. Director of the Department of Bioethics for several years, he still is the director of Masters in Applied ethics as well as in Philosophical counseling.
· has written about a variety of ethical issues in bioethics authoring and co-authoring a high number of books and articles published in Italy and abroad;
· is the scientific director and co-director of various reviews (Ethos and Bios series, Scientific Complexa, Bioethics, Human Rights, and Philosophy of Law, etc.);
· has participated as a coordinator of the research team at the following research projects financed with funds of the University: “Globalization and philosophy: historical philosophical and ethical aspects” (2002-03), “Ethics and professional deontology” (2004-05), “Philosophical Counseling and Practice: history, fundamentals and methodology” (2006-2007);
· was the Director of the Chamber “Education Permanente” of local education authorities in Puglia;
· is the National President of the Italian Society for Bioethics and the Ethics Committees (SIBCE).